Easy Grilled Beef Heart
Like most organ meats, beef heart is packed with essential vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin B2, B6, and B12. It is also rich in folate, iron, and zinc. Even if organ meat dishes aren’t your norm, have a little adventure and give this recipe a try! You may find that along with being nutritious it is surprisingly delicious.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes (plus overnight marinate)
Yield: 3-4 servings
- 12 ounces Beef Heart
For the marinade:
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- pepper, cayenne, to taste
- segments of lime for garnish/finishing
1. To prepare heart, remove the gristle and sinews in the cavity by slicing them away. Cut the heart into 1-inch cubes.
2. Place the cubes of heart into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add all the ingredients for the marinade and mix well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
3. Skewer the meat, about 4 to 5 cubes per skewer. Grill over high heat until slightly charred on the surface and rare to medium-rare inside, about 4-5 minutes. Turn the skewers over mid-way. Serve immediately, with some coarse sea salt and lime to finish.