Gluten-free Apple Cinnamon Donuts
These are delicious, dense, not-too-sweet treats that you will feel good about giving to your little one. I used just a dusting of cinnamon sugar on top of the donuts, which is optional, but you can totally coat them if you want them a little sweeter!
Want more tasty, higher protein dessert ideas? Check out my cookbook, Carnivore-ish!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 ish minutes
Makes: about 6 donuts
- 3/4 cup almond flour or gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup vanilla or unflavored protein powder
- ¼ cup collagen peptide powder (I use BUBS; use code MM20 to save 20%!)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (and then some; I’m liberal with the vanilla!)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the cinnamon sugar topping (optional):
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 6 cavity donut pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together eggs, applesauce, vanilla extract, and maple syrup.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry and stir until fully mixed. The batter will be thick and sticky.
- Spoon the batter into your donut pan, filling each cavity to the top. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes (depending on oven). Remove and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- While donuts are cooling, prepare the topping. Mix together the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Once donuts have cooled, lightly brush each donut with oil, and dip each end of the donuts in the cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Enjoy fresh and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.