One-Skillet Chicken Thighs with Cabbage
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: about 40 minutes
Throw some tasty ingredients in a skillet, let them cook together and marinate in their own delicious juices, and get ready for a fantastic dinner with almost no work. You’re welcome. Get more delicious high-protein recipes here.
2 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 1¼ pounds)
2 teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
4 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
½ medium head green cabbage, shredded
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon curry powder
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Pat the chicken dry and season with 1 teaspoon of the salt, curry powder, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the avocado oil in a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken skin side down and sear until the skin is deep golden-brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate skin-side up.
- Lower the heat to medium. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of avocado oil and swirl it in the pan. Add the cabbage, garlic, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt to the skillet and cook, tossing occasionally, until the cabbage is just wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet skin-side up and place in the oven. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer stuck into the thickest part away from the bone reads 165ºF, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven. Taste the cabbage mixture and add additional seasonings, if needed. Serve hot.